Thursday, April 30, 2009

My Comments on Books about Shell Programming

Abastract
In this article I shall introduce several books about shell programming and hopefully it will help you to determine the right one for you.

I have to learn shell to carry out some of my experiments recently, and to be honest, I don’t feel like shell very much since there are so many modern script languages out there… Anyway, as shell is so widely used, it’s not too bad to spend some time on it.

  • A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming is a nice book to start for newbies :)
  • Unix Shell Programming is the best book on shell programming I’ve found, which explains how shell works clearly
  • Classic Shell Scripting is not structured as well as the the previous one, but it has a chapter on security and explains some basic ideas in more details. If you get confused while reading the previous book, check this one.
  • Unix Shell by Example explains all popular shells, including sh, bash , csh and ksh, if you are going to script for different shells you may very likely find this book useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment