Thursday, May 14, 2009

EE in side?

Well I promised that I will blog about technique-related stuffs in English, but that is NOT always easy, especially when I want to talk about something not exactly technical… So let me try ;)

Today I helped Emma understand the confusing chip manual from TI, which is actually quite ordinary for a guy who was majored in EE – like me ;) Computers, cellphones, PDA’s and all lovely electronic gadgets are just chips connected on PCB in my eyes, and all programs to me are just bit streams flowing on the binary circuit… Parallelism has never be something hard for me since all the parts on a circuit should be working simultaneously (though some of the chips can be disabled to save energy or for some other reason…)

I do find some differences between me and those ‘genuine CS’ guys XD – What occurs to me when I meet difficulty in my experiments is to build a ‘lab-made’ hardware environments of my own instead of buying from some vendor; CS people say that this CPU features loading 8 instructions a time, while I say this CPU could work better with block-reading storage devices since reading multiple continuously stored instructions at a time is more efficient...

Currently I’m working on GCC and studying machine learning and data mining techniques, which are all interesting, but sometimes I do miss those days with FPGA and various chips and I’m still dreaming of building my CPU (perhaps with FPGA) which implements my instruction set, designing a circuit to support it, and finally writing a kernel, a compiler and several applications to form a minimal environment in my programming language for it. I don't believe this will be of any academic significance... but it really sounds INTERESTING~

No comments:

Post a Comment