Sunday, March 22, 2009

Script to set all pdf bookmarks to zoom: inherit

When you create a bookmark in Acrobat, it automaticly sets the current zoom setting to te bookmark. This may be smart and sweet for someone, but to me it's stupid and annoying. Since when I read a file in a large screen, I want a greater zoom, while on a smaller screen, I wanna save space and see more content; setting a zoom for bookmarks screws things up. Finally I found {a great perl script} that can convert all pdf bookmark to zoom: inherit.

Use the bookmarks-fitpage.pl script from the zip, which set all bookmarks to zoom: inherit (the script is named as fitpage, which is a bit confusing...)

Notice that the script only works for PDF version 1.4 or earlier, if you're using Acrobat 9, you can convert the file to pdf-1.4 (Acrobat 5) by going to menu: advanced>print production>preflight, the wizard will do a nice convert job for you.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote a small java application which is based on the PDF Clown library. It allows you to easily apply various bookmark configurations, such as 'Inherit zoom', to multiple PDF files within a desired directory.

    This is my first public project and due to the fact that I'm taking my exams in the next couple of weeks, I'm running out of time. But afterwards, which should be in mid-February, I'll keep on developing.

    In the meantime, feel free to use the application and give some feedback.

    https://bitbucket.org/beatngu13/pdfbookmarkwizard/downloads

    ReplyDelete