Thursday, July 30, 2009

Backup with Acronis and without CD

Abstract: Boot Acronis True Image from grub.

Acronis True Image features online backup, however sometimes you may still want to do a off-line one, then normally you have to either install Acronis to hard disk or use a rescue media CD. Since I have both Arch Linux and Windows installed, I do not want to install Acronis to hard disk because I want to have grub in MBR. But I cannot use rescue cd either, because my cd has already been dead for years.

I've tried to make a usb disk rescue media, but it simply does not boot :(

So here's what I did:

  • Generate a rescue ISO with Acronis;
  • Expand ISO file and copy all in Recovery Manager to a directory on hard disk;
  • Write in Grub's menu.lst:
    title Acronis
    root (hdX,Y)
    kernel /acronis/kernel.dat quiet vga=0x317
    initrd /acronis/ramdisk.dat

  • Reboot and select Acronis from grub

Now you see, Acronis Rescue CD is actually Linux :)

No comments:

Post a Comment